Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ruby and Rails

For the past few weeks I've been playing around with Ruby and Rails. I was somewhat hesitant at first, because I had heard such great things about Ruby and Rails. My natural reaction to that sort of effusive enthusiasm is to be skeptical. After all, the software development world seems to have an endless appetite for fads. Every time a new technology emerges, it promises to make programming easy and to solve the difficult problems that cause so many projects to fail, or at least to run into serious delays and cost overruns. However, at present I must say that I am quite impressed. It really does seem to be such a nice clean framework, and it really is easy to do stuff. One of the things I like best about it so far is that my code doesn't have to be instrumented with a bunch of dependencies on the rails environment. I can write a pure ruby class and it will just work with rails. If I want to persist to a database, I can take advantage of the object-relational mapping, but the framework seems to do a great job of staying out of my way. It's not
like J2EE where I can remember having to produce multitudes of classes and configuration data just to implement some trivial functionality. I am no expert on ruby or rails yet, but I must admit that I am pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing and hope to learn more as I go along.

No comments: